About the client
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York.
With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
IBM was seeking to automatically alert its partners using IBM Blue Care, an instant single window access about their products, services, and news & events.
There were three main objectives
- Design an RIA that alerts partner desktops with news updates
- The updates had to support multiple platforms and browsers
- Decrease time in searching and downloading user specific content
Size of the team
- 3 Developers
- 2 Quality engineers
- 1 Designer
- 1 Project coordinator
- IBM hardware development team
Duration of the project
- 4.5 months plus 2 years of annual maintenance support
- Adobe AIR, ActionScript 3, XML
A desktop RIA that supports multiple platforms was developed using Adobe AIR.
Frequent news updates were made on the RIA, to keep the target audience well informed.
News alerts would upload information only when users log in with their email id, enabling authenticated users to access specific information.
Based on the credentials, IBM partners were segregated into different categories; gold, silver and bronze. Customized content was then sent to these partners, based on the category to which they belong.
State of the art RIA widget helped to achieve:
- 80% reduction in time to gather specific information
- Significant reduction in time taken to download information
- Availability of information on desktop
- Accessibility of information on multiple platforms only by authenticated users
- Thousands of partners across the globe use it today to get real time information on IBM products
- 70% savings in annual maintenance cost, by automating the work, which was earlier done by a 15 member outsourcing team
Get News Alerts On Your Desktop with IBM RIA
All news items divided into different categories, with digits denoting the number of latest updates under each category.
User can easily navigate to the news item of interest to them.Clicking on any category tab takes the user to a new screen, which beautifully lists down all news items.
The application was designed in such a way that, almost 300 words of content can easily be fit in a small area ensuring good readability.
Easy to manage system, allowing to map news items to specific partners.Key statistics to monitor partner activity.
Drop down category list to allow the user reach the preferred news item instantly.Repository of all news items categorized under different heads, in a easy to locate tabular format.
Like what we do?